Tuesday, October 26, 2010

NFL Week Seven Recap

Week Seven Picks: 10-4
Week Seven ATS: 7-7
Overall Picks: 67-37
Overall ATS: 55-45-4

Who Dat? The Browns? Really?
CLEVELAND BROWNS @ NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Line: Saints -13
O/U: 43
My Pick: Saints -13. New Orleans wins 30-13.
Result: Browns 30-17
Did anyone get this pick right? I doubt it. Not my fault. New Orleans, please wake the hell up. You're better than that.

Four Full Quarters
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES @ TENNESSEE TITANS
Line: Titans -3
O/U: 43
My Pick: Titans -3. Tennessee wins 23-17.
Result: Titans 37-19
You can't play for 60% of an NFL game and win. Plus the Eagles looked like they were trying to lose even during the part of the game when they were ahead. 37-19 isn't representative of how close the game was, but I was right - the Titans did get the W.

WTF Buffalo? You wait until NOW to start playing?
BUFFALO BILLS @ BALTIMORE RAVENS
Line: Ravens -13
O/U: 40
My Pick: Ravens -13. Baltimore crushes the Bills 30-6.
Result: Ravens 37-34 (ot)
As a Bills fan, I can't even be that upset about the Bills' valiant effort. If they play like that, they'll win at least a couple games this year.

Too bad Deangelo Hall isn't a Bear...
WASHINGTON REDSKINS @ CHICAGO BEARS
Line: Bears -3
O/U: 40
My Pick: Redskins +3. Washington wins outright 17-10.
Result: Redskins 17-14
...because Cutler sure does like to throw him the ball! If he were a Bear, he'd have been their leading receiver, and would have been second on the receiving corps with four catches. If you're a Chicago fan, that has to make you angry. A weird game all-in-all, but Washington continues to find ways to win.

Miami may as well have won...
PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ MIAMI DOLPHINS
Line: Steelers -3
O/U: 40.5
My Pick: Steelers -3. Pittsburgh wins a slugfest 17-13.
Result: Steelers 23-22
The first of the games where I went against my gut feeling...for some reason I thought the Dolphins would win, but I couldn't come up with any logical explanation as to how they'd do it. Like the Lions in week one, the Fins won that game and were shafted by the officials. Yes, the official's decision was correct - but the whistle shouldn't have blown. It may even cost them a wild card spot when we get to the end of the season.

Again, may as well have won...
ST. LOUIS RAMS @ TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Line: Bucs -2.5
O/U: 38
My Pick: Bucs -2.5. Tampa wins 17-10.
Result: Bucs 18-17
The other gut feeling I went against was that the Rams would win. I had actually written up the preview as though I was picking the Rams, and changed it all after I decided to go against my gut. I was right to change in one sense - Tampa got the win - but not by 2.5 points. That's one you chalk up to a game being closer than you'd have expected. No big deal.

TOcho Distraction Show
CINCINNATI BENGALS @ ATLANTA FALCONS
Line: Falcons -3
O/U: 42.5
My Pick: Falcons -3. Atlanta wins 27-17.
Result: Falcons 39-32
TO and Ochocinco didn't need to start their own TV show. They may not feel it's a distraction, but it certainly seems that way. They have enough talent to be better than 2-4. Heck, they beat the Ravens!

Thought So!
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS @ CAROLINA PANTHERS
Line: 49ers -3
O/U: 35.5
My Pick: Panthers +3. Carolina wins it as a home underdog 17-13.
Result: Panthers 23-20
I knew they were good enough to get a win soon, and the 49ers, like the Cowboys, just seem to find a way to lose.

Whew...
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS @ KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Line: Chiefs -9
O/U: 37.5
My Pick: Chiefs -9. Kansas City wins 20-10.
Result: Chiefs 42-20
This game was close for a while, but KC finally pulled away at the end. I was worried that my initial reaction was correct - that KC wasn't a good enough squad to spot 9 points. Turns out they are...

Was Max Hall the glue that was keeping the Cards' paper ship afloat?
ARIZONA CARDINALS @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Line: Seahawks -5.5
O/U: 40.5
My Pick: Cards +5.5. Seattle wins 20-17.
Result: Seahawks 22-10
I had no idea Max Hall's injury would kill the Cards' offense. He's no better than Anderson; or so I thought. Seattle scored the same number of points I expected them to...but the Cards disappointed me!

The Raiders scored how many points?
OAKLAND RAIDERS @ DENVER BRONCOS
Line: Broncos -8.5
O/U: 41.5
My Pick: Raiders +8.5. Denver wins 24-20.
Result: Raiders 59-14
That's embarrassing. You let the RAIDERS score 59 points on you. For shame.

Told ya
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS @ SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
Line: Chargers -3
O/U: 47
My Pick: Pats +3. I still can't believe I'm getting points on this. New England wins 21-17.
Result: Pats 23-20
San Diego put up a better fight than I expected, but they didn't start playing until the fourth quarter. Amazing how many Chargers-and-Cowboys-like teams we have this year; big expectation, ZERO results.

Almost Magic
MINNESOTA VIKINGS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS
Line: Packers -3
O/U: 44
My Pick: Vikings +3. Minnesota wins 27-20.
Result: Packers 28-24
Brett Favre comes out with a minute remaining, team down by four, on a broken ankle, and somehow leads them on a game-winning drive, capped off by a touchdown pass on 4th and 15 on which he trips over the center, gets back up, breaks a tackle, and heaves one downfield to Moss for the score. Too bad it never happened. This was a few inches from being "one of those games". The type you tell your children about 20 years from now. The type you brag to your friends about having stayed up late to watch the end of. Instead, it was just a simple Packers win.

Hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaha
NEW YORK GIANTS @ DALLAS COWBOYS
Line: Cowboys -3
O/U: 44
My Pick: Cowboys -3. Dallas rolls the Giants 34-14.
Result: Giants 41-35
As you can see, the decimation of the Cowboys season pains me a great deal. I never thought they were that good. Certainly better than 1-5, but I thought all the Super Bowl hype was nothing more than wishful thinking. People wanted to see a team play in a home Super Bowl. Wait until next year - The Giants and Jets are both solid. I'd consider it a 1 in 12 chance that a New York team will get a home Super Bowl. (Appx. 24 teams will have ANY shot at a Super Bowl next year; NY has two of those 24. Hence 1 in 12. Not bad odds...)

No comments: