Tuesday, January 6, 2009

RECAP - WILD CARD WEEKEND

Picks: 3-1

Next Week: 0-4 here we come! Geez. What a crazy divisional round we're in store for. All four games could honestly go either way. I can't wait to see spreads when I make my picks on Thursday! (yes, I could look now, but it's all part of the process...)

#3!
Atlanta Falcons @ Arizona Cardinals (Sat. Jan 3rd, 4:30 pm)
Line: Falcons -2
O/U: 51
My Pick: Cards +2. Arizona can keep up with the NFC until they have to travel East. Which would be their next stop...Cards win a wild one, 37-34.
Result: Cards 30-24
Only the third postseason win in Arizona Cardinals history! Clap, clap, clap. Now they travel (bad) to the east (really bad) to play the red-hot Panthers (ouch!). One and done again. Sorry Cards fans.

No Manning Bowl :-(
Indianapolis Colts @ San Diego Chargers (Sat. Jan 3rd, 8pm)
Line: Colts -1
O/U: 51
My Pick: Colts -1. Indy wins another great game, 33-31.
Result: Chargers 23-17 (ot)
Simply put, Indy did not score enough points. I know that sounds like a very Madden thing to say, but it is very true. I expected Indy to allow some points, as the Chargers have a good offense...but I didn't expect Manning and the Colts to be held to only 17 points. If the Chargers D can do that to the Colts, what can they do to Pittsburgh? That'll be a tough game to call.

Tuna, Fish go down!
Baltimore Ravens @ Miami Dolphins (Sun. Jan 4th, 1pm)
Line: Ravens -3
O/U: 37.5
My Pick: Ravens -3. Baltimore drowns the fish 27-16.
Result: Ravens 27-9
Ed Reed is the best safety in the NFL. That is all that needs to be said. I was right on with this game. Although my predicted score here is 27-16, I thought it was 27-10 while I was watching the game, and save for a blocked extra point, which no one can predict because it happens so infrequently, I was dead on. At 10-3, Ravens driving near the end of the first half, I said that the Ravens would settle for a field goal (13-3), would score the first TD in the 2nd half (20-3), the Fins would get one back (20-10), and the Ravens would score again late to put it away (27-10). All of that happened. But Miami missed an extra point. Now let's see if my "Ravens ESP" can keep me in the loop this week!

Which team are we Watching?
Philadelphia Eagles @ Minnesota Vikings (Sun. Jan 4th, 4:30pm)
Line: Eagles -3
O/U: 42
My Pick: Eagles -3. Philly wins 20-14.
Result: Eagles 26-14
When the Eagles are hot, they crush teams with offense. They beat Dallas 44-6, if you'd like a recent example. The defense is good in those games too, but it is the offense that catches one's eye. And yes, I am aware that the defense was responsible for some of the 44 against Dallas, but obviously had some help from McNabb and Westbrook. Against the Vikings, however, they won almost solely with their Defense. Asante Samuel had one of only 2 TDs. The other was the one good play the Eagles put together, Brian Westbrook on a 71-yard screen. Other than that, the Vikings shut down the Eagles offense, and really made them look terrible. Of course, the Vikings were totally shut down, too. Outside the 40 yard TD run by Peterson, he never gained more than 6 yards on a carry. Part of me wonders if the Eagles can beat the Giants without an offense that is clicking. Then again, part of me wonders if the Giants can beat the Eagles with a defense that is playing so well!

No comments: