Tuesday, December 2, 2008

RECAP - WEEK THIRTEEN

This Week: 9-7 (91-95-5)
Linebusters: 5-0 (35-29-1)
Straight Picks (w/o line): 10-6 (117-71-1)

Not a terrible week. I wanted better, but I can appreciate being over .500.

Worst Ever Thanksgiving Day Defeat!
Tennessee Titans @ Detroit Lions
Line: Titans -11
O/U: 44
Linebuster!
My Pick: Titans -11. Tennessee Rolls 31-13.
Result: Titans 47-10
You had to know that this was going to happen. The Lions are awful, and the Titans believe they're the best in the NFL.

Back?
Seattle Seahawks @ Dallas Cowboys
Line: Cowboys -13
O/U: 47
My Pick: Cowboys -13. Dallas comes out firing 37-17.
Result: Cowboys 34-9
It may be Seattle, but Dallas played a very complete game on O & D. Don't rule them out as a contender just yet.

Of course they did...
Arizona Cardinals @ Philadelphia Eagles
Line: Eagles -3
O/U: 47
My Pick: Cards +3. Arizona wins outright 31-19.
Result: Eagles 48-20
First off, I'm disgusted that I went against my "the Cards can't win in the East" philosophy. I'm also annoyed that I've been giving the Eagles credit for weeks, saying that it was time for them to break out of the slump and score a ton of points, and then they go and do it after I've lost faith in them. Jerks.

A New Strategy is Born!
Denver Broncos @ New York Jets
Line: Jets -7.5
O/U: 47.5
My Pick: Broncos +7.5. The Broncos are never predictable, so I'll go against my gut. Jets 33-27.
Result: Broncos 34-17
For years, the Denver Broncos have been a thorn in my side, constantly doing the opposite of whatever I predicted. I finally decided to purposely go against my gut, and IT WORKED! Also, in case anyone was unsure as to why I have been down on the Jets, THIS IS WHY!!!

Game Over, Man. Game Over.
San Francisco 49ers @ Buffalo Bills
Line: Bills -6.5
O/U: 42.5
My Pick: Bills -6.5. Buffalo wins 33-23.
Result: 49ers 10-3
To aviod the use of profanity, all I will say is that the Bills will not make the playoffs, and will become the team that has been absent from the postseason the longest as soon as Arizona clinches. Bills fans haven't seen the postseason yet this century. Ouch. Also, 3 points? What the f#$% Buffalo?

Tampa in a Squeaker...Again!
New Orleans Saints @ Tampa Bay Bucs
Line: Bucs -3.5
O/U: 47.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Saints +3.5. Tampa wins 23-21.
Result: Bucs 23-20
Doesn't get much closer than that. Go NFC South! I'd love to see 4 South teams and no East teams...(a.k.a. NO COWBOYS!). It won't happen, though...Dallas is back.

Stupid 4th and 1...
Carolina Panthers @ Green Bay Packers
Line: Packers -3
O/U: 43
My Pick: Packers -3. Green Bay wins 30-17.
Result: Panthers 35-31
You have to take the points late in the game on 4th and 1 at the goal line, but how terrible was the Packer D to just let Carolina march back down the field and score a touchdown? Yikes. The NFC North is basically Minny's division to lose now. Considering what everyone thought after week 3 or 4, that's quite a change.

The Best
New York Giants @ Washington Redskins
Line: Giants -3.5
O/U: 41.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Giants -3.5. New York Skins 'em 31-16.
Result: Giants 23-7
Now that the Titans have lost, the Giants are absolutely the best team in the NFL. The question, though, will be whether or not they will let one slip away in the postseason due to the very likely absence of Plaxico. Goodell isn't going to let this go...Burress will likely be done for the year.

Never Bet on the Fins
Miami Dolphins @ St. Louis Rams
Line: Dolphins -7
O/U: n/a
My Pick: Dolphins -7. Miami wins 31-13.
Result: Fins 16-12
I should have known better. My unwritten rule was to never take the Fins as a heavy favorite. The Rams had to start playing better, and they did. Had I known at the time I picked the game that Steven Jackson would be back, I may have gone the other way, but that's no excuse. I should have never picked the Fins to cover 5+ points.

Whew!
Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals
Line: Ravens -7
O/U: 36.5
My Pick: Ravens -7. Baltimore wins 23-10.
Result: Ravens 34-3
The whole time I was watching this game, I was convinced I had taken the Bengals to cover. Thankfully I was wrong. Baltimore has had the offense moving the last few games... with the Bills pretty much out of the race, they may be a playoff team!

No Offensive TDs. For Manning's Colts. Against the Browns. Really?
Indianapolis Colts @ Cleveland Browns
Line: Colts -5
O/U: 45
My Pick: Colts -5. Indy wins 34-24.
Result: Colts 10-6
I would bet that no one called this. I'm sure people bet against the Colts and won, but I doubt anyone picked this final score, or anything close to it. Peyton Manning against the Browns D? Come on! Indy has been winning, but needs to find an offensive groove if they're going to go far in the playoffs. Yes, I said playoffs...look at their remaining schedule...less than 11-5 would be a huge disappointment.

See? They ARE Bad!
Atlanta Falcons @ San Diego Chargers
Line: Chargers -4.5
O/U: 49
Linebuster!
My Pick: Falcons +4.5. Atlanta wins outright 27-23.
Result: Falcons 22-16
I knew Matt Ryan could lead his boys into San Diego and come out with a win. How about the Falcons' turnaround? I guess all they really needed was a solid QB, and everything else kind of fell into place! Also of note, Michael Turner, former LT backup, went into San Diego and outdueled his former superior...that must have felt awesome!

Now they'll win out...
Pittsburgh Steelers @ New England Patriots
Line: Pats -1
O/U: 40
Linebuster!
My Pick: Steelers +1. Pittsburgh Wins 21-17.
Result: Steelers 33-10
I was correct that New England had to lose this game. Now that the Bills look awful, I doubt they'll beat the Pats, and New England should win the rest of its games. Pittsburgh can do a lot of damage, especially when the defense is playing well, but I don't see them getting any farther than the AFC title game, if they even make it that far.

Who Cares...
Kansas City Chiefs @ Oakland Raiders
Line: Raiders -3
O/U: 41.5
My Pick: Raiders -3. Let's hope that guy that said that thing knows something we don't. Raiders win 27-24.
Result: Chiefs 20-13
I still don't know where I heard it, but whoever said the Raiders would win out is an idiot. Nuff Said.

Vikes give Bears Purple Nurples, Add Insult to Injury!
Chicago Bears @ Minnesota Vikings
Line: Vikings -3.5
O/U: 42
My Pick: Vikings -3.5. Minnesota Cruises 27-16.
Result: Vikings 34-14
They sure did cruise to that win! A 99-yard TD pass to Berrian and a long AP run were just two of the highlights for Minnesota, which could be a contender in the playoffs, especially if Jared Allen and the D-Line play that well every week. Chicago has work to do to make the playoffs. At 6-6, we've already written off the Bills, but Chicago is lucky enough to play in the NFC, where a lesser record may still have a shot at the wild card. They'll need to win out, though.

At Least Now We Know How Bad They Are...
Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans
Line: Texans -3
O/U: 48
My Pick: Jags +3. Jacksonville wins 23-20.
Result: Texans 30-17
I can't remember a team underachieving in the NFL like the Jags have this year. People had them in the Super Bowl, and now they're 4-8. More embarrassingly, they're the only team to lose to the Bengals!

No comments: