Tuesday, September 22, 2009

NFL Week Two Recap

Week 2: 5-11
Overall: 15-17
Overall SU: 21-11 (7-9 wk 2)
Linebusters: 1-4 (3-7)

Just an atrocious week for me. No excuses. The 49ers are for real, the Packers disappeared again, and I chose the wrong way on all of my toss-ups. It happens, but hopefully this will be my worst week of the season. Two Perfect picks (exact score), and I still stunk it up. Geez.

How far will they go?
Carolina Panthers @ Atlanta Falcons
Line: Falcons -6
O/U: 42.5
My Pick: Panthers +6. Atlanta still wins 20-16.
Result: Falcons 28-20
I was close, but obviously these games are the hardest to pick. I thought Carolina would step it up, hold onto the ball, and keep it close. They almost did, but fell a few points short of the spread. Atlanta is good, but the injury to DT Peria Jerry could hurt.

Why do I do this to Myself?
St. Louis Rams @ Washington Redskins
Line: Skins -9.5
O/U: 37
My Pick: Skins -9.5. Washington wins 17-6.
Result: Skins 9-7
I distinctly remember doing the logical thing (taking the points when Washington was favored big...), and it bit me in the butt. So I thought I'd go with them this time. And it bit me in the butt agian. What can you do? 9 points against the Rams is ridiculous at home, so honestly it's the Skins who should be ashamed of themselves.

Not Dead Yet
Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans
Line: Titans -6.5
O/U: 41
My Pick: Titans -6.5. Seems like a lot to cover, but I'm going Titans 27-17.
Result: Texans 34-31
I was sure that the Jets victory over the Texans meant that they were overrated, but apparently they can play great when they want to. I also think the Jets are WAY better than anticipated, which kind of threw a bunch of stuff off for me this week. Tennessee will get on track, but it may be too little too late.

Are they done scoring yet?
New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles
Line: Saints -1
O/U: 46
My Pick: Eagles +1. They are playing at home. Their defense is good. Philly 24-23.
Result: Saints 48-22
If the Saints keep this up they won't lose! Who can keep up with 45+ PPG? Philly's D didn't perform the way I expected them to, and Kolb wasn't helping by dishing out INTs left and right. They'll be better when McNabb gets back.

Son of a...
New England Patriots @ New York Jets
Line: Pats -3.5
O/U: 46
Linebuster!
My Pick: Pats -3.5. New England Rolls 27-10.
Result: Jets 16-9
As I told a friend, this was my one lock for the week. I had no idea that Rex Ryan:Defensive Genius could hold Brady and the Pats to NO TDs. From now on I am picking the Jets as though they were the Ravens of old (before they had Flacco and an offense...). Not a Super Bowl team, but far better than the 6-10 team I thought they'd be.

Spot On
Oakland Raiders @ Kansas City Chiefs
Line: Chiefs -3
O/U: 38.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Raiders +3. Oakland wins 13-10.
Result: Raiders 13-10
I was right. What more can be said?

What is going on?
Arizona Cardinals @ Jacksonville Jaguars
Line: Jaguars -3
O/U: 43
Linebuster!
My Pick: Jags -3. Jacksonville dominates at home 23-10.
Result: Cards 31-17
Last year the Cards couldn't do anything on the East Coast. They wouldn't have beaten St. Mary's school for the blind, let alone an NFL team. But apparently the Jags are terrible again and have chosen to suffer through 5-11 all over again. Goodbye Jack Del Rio. Doubt he'll make it past week 8 if they keep stinkin it up. Also of note, the 49ers, like the Jets, seem to be very much "for real", and have messed up a few picks this week.

So much for the dominant Packers
Cincinnati Bengals @ Green Bay Packers
Line: Packers -9
O/U: 42
My Pick: Packers -9. Green Bay wins at home 27-13.
Result: Bengals 31-24
The NFL becomes confusing when the Packers beat the Chicago Bears in week 1, and while the Bears are off beating the defending Super Bowl Champs that same Packers team is beaten by the lowly Bengals. What is going on? I have no idea. The Broncos aren't good, so it can't be that the Bengals are better than I thought. The Bears played well without Urlacher, so it can't be that they suck. The only answer is that, once again, the Packers are incredibly inconsistent. You'd think that secondary would be stellar. It wasn't. Boo Green Bay. Boo.

Still too close...
Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions
Line: Vikings -10
O/U: 45
My Pick: Vikings -10.
Vikings leave Ford Field with a 31-13 win.
Result: Vikings 27-13
I love when I can be correct yet still learn a ton about a team. The Vikings came on later in the game, but early on were not playing well. If other teams can figure out what the Lions did early on and sustain it, the Vikes could be held in check.

Go Bills!
Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Buffalo Bills
Line: Bills -4.5
O/U: 42
My Pick: Bills -4.5. I have to go with my Bills 23-17.
Result: Bills 33-20
Buffalo had it working early, got out to a 17-0 lead, and then cooled off a bit. Despite playing well defensively, they did drop a few sure-thing interceptions, so things could have gone even better. The Bucs showed that they can throw when the run is taken out, but still don't have much on the defensive side of the ball to stop other teams.

Where did this come from?
Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers
Line: 49ers -1
O/U: 39.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Seahawks +1. Can't believe I get the Seahawks with Points! 24-21 Seattle.
Result: 49ers 23-10
I know Hasslebeck was hurt, but you'd think the defense that held Bulger's Rams to 0 points in week one could do better against Shaun "who?" Hill and the 49ers O. Like I said after week 1, San Fran tries to make each game a fight, and they are awfully tough. Name 2 players on the 49er D other than Patrick Willis. You can't, unless you're a 49ers fan. Yet they are mean, tough, and consistent. A truly cohesive unit, all on the same page every play. This is the epitomy of a well-coached team performing above expectations, and if they keep it up, they may win the West. Heck, they've already beaten the other 2 contenders!

Jeff Reed just made my list of things to do today...
Pittsburgh Steelers @ Chicago Bears
Line: Steelers -3
O/U: 37.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Steelers -3. Pittsburgh has too much for Chicago 20-10.
Result: Bears 17-14
I would have been fine had Jeff Reed not sucked. Again. Why can't he kick in wind? Everybody else can... The Bears played a solid ball-possession-type game, like they always have, but I still thought the Steelers had more than enough chances to beat them.

What are you doing in Late January?
Baltimore Ravens @ San Diego Chargers
Line: Chargers -3
O/U: 40
My Pick: Ravens +3. Baltimore wins 17-14.
Result: Ravens 31-26
Analysts are saying that this could have been an early look at the AFC championship game. The Ravens look very good. San Diego played well without LT, but needs to up their level of play if they're going to beat the league's elite teams.

Where did this come from?
Cleveland Browns @ Denver Broncos
Line: Denver -3
O/U: 39
My Pick: Browns +3. Cleveland wins outright 17-13.
Result: Broncos 27-6
I went back and forth on this one a bunch of times. I knew I should have gone against my gut. Whenever the Broncos are involved, you have to go against your gut. For some reason they are just an impossible team to pick. I still don't think they're any good, but their 2-0 record makes me wonder. The Browns aren't as bad as they looked, and will surprise someone at some point this season. I just hope it's not me!

Again, I knew better.
New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys
Line: Cowboys -2.5
O/U: 45
My Pick: Cowboys -2.5. I hate to pick the Cowboys, but I will. Dallas 20-13.
Result: G-Men 33-31
Why would I pick the Cowboys? The Colts struggled in their new stadium last season, why didn't I consider that the Cowboys would, too? Guess I got too bogged down by the trends. The Giants played well, and Manningham emerged as a possible go-to guy, maybe even a #1 receiver, for Manning. If the young receivers keep playing well, the G-men will go far. The defense hasn't even hit its stride yet and the Giants are 2-0!

Whew!
Indianapolis Colts @ Miami Dolphins
Line: Colts -3
O/U: 42
My Pick: Colts -3. Indy wins 27-23.
Result: Colts 27-23
Can't say I wasn't a bit worried, but the Colts pulled it out and made me look good with another exact pick. In case you were curious, that was as good as Miami can play, which will help in determining what they can do against other teams in the future. Indy needs Bob Sanders back to be an elite team. And Anthony Gonzolez wouldn't hurt, either.

No comments: