Tuesday, October 14, 2008

RECAP - WEEK SIX

This week: 7-7 (41-43-3)
Linebusters: 3-2 (13-16-1)
Straight Picks (w/o Line): 6-8 (49-38)

Stupid NFC East. The league's "best" (see, they get quotes now, because they looked weak) division cost me two big games this week. Dallas and New York...what the hell? Did you just not show up? I mean, I kinda get Dallas, because Arizona is a solid team and put a ton of pressure on Romo defensively, but the Giants? The Browns are awful. I still think they're awful. But somehow they housed the Giants. Crazy. Also of note...though I'll count it against me, I would have never picked the Bengals had I known Carson Palmer wouldn't play. That was announced after I posted the picks on Thursday. My bad.

Finally the Saints showed up...
Oakland Raiders @ New Orleans Saints
Line: Saints -7.5
O/U: 47
Linebuster!
My Pick: Saints -7.5. New Orleans cruises 31-13.
Result: Saints 34-3
It took them a while to start scoring, but Brees was on fire throughout and the Saints finally took care of business. Looks like Tom Cable isn't Oakland's Savior after all. Same old Raiders.

They're Baaaaaack
Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts
Line: Colts -4.5
O/U: 39
My Pick: Ravens +4.5. Baltimore wins 16-13.
Result: Colts 31-3
My reasoning for this pick was that the Colts needed to prove themselves to me before I could take them seriously. They have. Peyton may have been a bit rusty in the first few games after not playing in the preseason, but he's back. Marvin Harrison played well, too. The Ravens have little offense, though, so it will be interesting to see how the Colts' D responds from here on out.

Good Enough?
Cincinnati Bengals @ New York Jets
Line: Jets -6
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Bengals +6. Cincy finally gets in the win column 23-21.
Result: Jets 26-14
Like I said above, I didn't know Palmer would be absent when I picked this game. The question for Jets fans is whether or not this effort was good enough. Defensively, they were OK, but with Fitzgerald at QB for Cincy, I think any defense would have looked good. Favre was good, as usual, but the Jets had only 86 yards rushing against one of the league's worst rush defenses. They won, so no harm done. Just something to think about in the future...

Who's for Real?
Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Line: Bucs -1
O/U: 36.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Panthers +1. Carolina takes out the Bucs 23-16.
Result: Bucs 27-3
You have your answer. The Bucs are for real, and the Panthers are hit-and-miss. Yes, the Bucs have a good D, but if DelHomme and company are going to be a force in the NFC, they'll need more than 3 points, no matter who they play. Tampa put up good numbers, making a strong case for Jeff Garcia to remain at starting QB.

Where are you Going?
Detroit Lions @ Minnesota Vikings
Line: Vikings -13
O/U: 45.5
My Pick: Lions +13. Vikings still win 30-20.
Result: Vikings 12-10
It's a win, but if the Viking offense is bad enough to need a last-second field goal to get to 12 points on the hapless Lions, how far can we expect them to go? The NFC North looks pretty bad this year...

For Real
Chicago Bears @ Atlanta Falcons
Line: Bears -3
O/U: 43.5
My Pick: Bears -3. Chicago takes it 20-13.
Result: Falcons 22-20
What a football game this turned out to be! Chicago rallies for 10 points in the last few minutes to go up by 1 with :11 left, and then Matt Ryan works some magic to help veteran Jason Elam win it. Though I question the clock (only 5 seconds ran off for a 25 yard pass play?), I think the Falcons are for real. Not playoff "for real", but they should be just on the outside. They're a pretty good football team.

Another BarnBurner
Miami Dolphins @ Houston Texans
Line: Texans -3
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Dolphins +3. Miami pulls out a squeaker 24-23.
Result: Texans 29-28
Yet another of the last second wins this week. Both teams played well. I don't think either is really going anywhere. Miami really plays to their competition, and Houston is in an awfully tough division.

Holy S+%T
St. Louis Rams @ Washington Redskins
Line: Redskins -13.5
O/U: 44
My Pick: Rams +13.5. Redskins still win easily 27-17.
Result: Rams 19-17
I was worried that a lack of offensive firepower might bite the Redskins in the butt at some point, but the Rams? Really? Come on Washington, have some pride. I'm not sure that this means anything...the Skins just came out flat. They should still be a solid force in the NFC East.

Clawing Their Way Back
Jacksonville Jaguars @ Denver Broncos
Line: Broncos -3.5
O/U: 43.5
My Pick: Jags +3.5. Jacksonville shuts down Cutler again and wins 27-21.
Result: Jags 24-17
Now at .500, Jacksonville is looking like a contender again. They were supposed to be a sure-fire playoff team when the season began. Denver is looking suspect, as well they should be with very little defense and a loss to Kansas City under their belts.

Thank God they play 4 Quarters
Philadelphia Eagles @ San Francisco 49ers
Line: Eagles -5
O/U: 42.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Eagles -5. Philly rolls 31-17.
Result: Eagles 40-26
I was very worried about this game as I watched SF 26-17 roll across the bottom of the screen, but I have to give the Eagles credit...they hit the switch. 23 4th quarter points sealed it, and the Eagles are back in the discussion in the NFC East. At 3-3, they're only 1 game behind the Skins and Cowboys (though they've lost to both).

Uh-Oh
Dallas Cowboys @ Arizona Cardinals
Line: Cowboys -5
O/U: 50
My Pick: Cowboys -5. Dallas wins 37-28.
Result: Cardinals 30-24 (OT)
The problem isn't so much the loss...Dallas showed good resilience to get the game tied late...the issue now is the loss of Romo for a few weeks. As that team's leader, his absence affects everything. Arizona looked very good, especailly on defense. Now they need to prove they can win on the road.

Again, why would you favor the Seahawks?
Green Bay Packers @ Seattle Seahawks
Line: Seahawks -2
O/U: 46.5
Linebuster!
My Pick: Packers +2. Green Bay gets through Seattle 27-14.
Result: Packers 27-17
Seattle is going nowhere. Now Hasslebeck is likely going to miss next week's game, and the offense will be entrusted to Seneca Wallace. Much of their turmoil can be directly attributed to injuries, but that's part of the game. Green Bay has a real shot in the NFC North, with Minnesota struggling.

Statement
New England Patriots @ San Diego Chargers
Line: Chargers -5.5
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Pats +5.5. I don't think they'll win, but they'll keep it close. Chargers 23-21.
Result: Chargers 30-20
San Diego has made a statement. They will be the AFC West champion assuming they can beat Denver the next time around. New England is hot-and-cold, which is fitting for a team with an unproven QB. They will likely miss the playoffs. Sorry Pats fans.

Glad I didn't watch this...
New York Giants @ Cleveland Browns
Line: Giants -9
O/U: 43
Linebuster!
My Pick: Giants -9. New York cruises 27-10.
Result: Browns 35-14
Had I not been otherwise indisposed, I'm not sure my TV would have lived through my viewing of this game. What happened? The Browns' O was without its starting TE Kellen Winslow, and yet still put up 35 points. The anemic Brown offense. The one that managed only 26 COMBINED points in its first 3 games. Giants, time to regroup. I never thought the Giants were as good as people thought this year, and maybe they are destined to prove it in the next few weeks. Also of note...first Giants loss on the ROAD in a very long time.

Byes: BUF, TEN, PIT, KC

No comments: