Tuesday, January 19, 2010

NFL Divisional Round Recap

One of the higher seeds had to lose, but I picked the wrong one! San Diego had been unstoppable. I'm not sure what happened. Guess the Jets D is just playing too good right now. And the Chargers should have emphasized the run more. That Jets D line had only 5 healthy players...they should have gotten pushed around.

Good to see Minny and New Orleans back in form again. That's a matchup I've been hoping to see since week 4 (when I actually looked at the schedule to see if they'd meet in the regular season...). Should be a hell of a game, though I am leaning toward the Vikings. Better defense and an offense that can put up just as many points as the Saints. Not to mention a gritty veteran leader. I wouldn't ever bet money against Favre when he's healthy and the season's on the line. He's just a proven winner.

In the AFC, the Jets will replay week 16, but this time they'll have to go against the Colts' starters. Indy will need to step it up a bit, as they weren't stellar against the Ravens. They got a LOT of lucky breaks, although one could argue that they created their own luck. Pierre Garcon made a hell of a play to strip Ed Reed after his first interception, but I'd consider that a bit lucky. That should have been a scoring opportunity for the Ravens. Reed's other pick was negated by a questionable penalty, and one which didn't really affect the outcome of the play. I always hate when that happens. But to be honest, my attitude is likely a direct result of having picked the Ravens to win.

I do like the Colts, and I wouldn't bet against them this week. I'm just a little concerned that the Jets have all the momentum after their win in Indy in week 16, and I know how drama-laden the NFL tends to be. The irony of the Colts letting the Jets into the playoffs only to lose to them in the AFC championship game is too good to pass up. Not to mention the last team to "not have a chance" that went on a crazy playoff run was also from New York...and we all know where that ended. But if the Jets do pull off the upset, I'd bet on the NFC to take home the Lombardi Trophy.

No comments: