Friday, January 8, 2010

NFL Week 17 Recap

Overall SU: 170-86 (11-5 wk 17)
Week 17 ATS: 7-9
Overall ATS: 122-130-4

Bye!
New York Giants @ Minnesota Vikings
Line: Vikings -9
O/U: 47.5
My Pick: Giants +9. Minnesota wins 30-23.
Result: Vikings 44-7
Didn't realize the Vikings would be back to their old selves. Although I did have an inkling that the Gmen would give up. That bye could loom large...don't count out the Vikes in the NFC!

Just Missed
Atlanta Falcons @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Line: Falcons -2.5
O/U: 41.5
My Pick: Falcons -2.5. Atlanta wins 24-20.
Result: Falcons 20-10
At 9-7, the Falcons should be considered #7 in the NFC. They were good enough to make the playoffs, but the Ryan and Turner injuries killed them.

.500
San Francisco 49ers @ St. Louis Rams
Line: 49ers -7
O/U: 40.5
My Pick: 49ers -7. San Fran finsihes strong 20-10.
Result: 49ers 28-6
The 49ers ended up right where I thought they would, but I was still impressed with them. Early in the season they looked like they'd win the West!

Just Missed...
New England Patriots @ Houston Texans
Line: Texans -8
O/U: 46
My Pick: Pats +8. New England wins outright 23-20.
Result: Texans 34-27
Houston did what they needed to do...but on the heels of their earlier season loss to the Texans, the Bengals threw away Houston's chances by taking a dive against New York.

I'm an Idiot
Jacksonville Jaguars @ Cleveland Browns
Line: Browns -1.5
O/U: 37.5
My Pick: Jags +1.5. Jacksonville wins 21-13.
Result: Browns 23-17
I honestly thought I picked the Browns...I was pretty sure the Jags would give up after being eliminated from the playoffs. They did. Apparently I picked them anyway.

Limping Across the Finish Line
New Orleans Saints @ Carolina Panthers
Line: Panthers -7
O/U: N/A
My Pick: Saints +7. New Orleans wins 35-13.
Result: Panthers 23-10
You'd think the Saints would want to finish on a more positive note. Unless it is their plan to make opponents think they're faltering before pouncing on them, 3 losses to end the year isn't a very auspicious start to a Super Bowl run.

At Least the Bills can blow out the Colts' second string...
Indianapolis Colts @ Buffalo Bills
Line: Bills -7.5
O/U: N/A
My Pick: Colts +7.5. Buffalo gets the win 17-13.
Result: Bills 30-7
When I saw that the game was happening in a blizzard I figured I was safe...the Bills can't score enough to win by 7 when it's nice out! And somehow they put up 30. Oh well. Now to see if the Colts' strategy backfires...

Positive Notes for Next Year
Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions
Line: Bears -3
O/U: 45
My Pick: Bears -3. Chicago wins 28-16.
Result: Bears 37-23
At least we know Cutler can put up points. It'll be interesting to see what transpires with the Bears' offense next season.

Another Team shafted by others' Dives
Pittsburgh Steelers @ Miami Dolphins
Line: Steelers -3
O/U: 46
My Pick: Steelers -3. Pittsburgh wins 30-17.
Result: Steelers 30-24
Pittsburgh played a solid game, but they'll be missing the playoffs thanks to New England and Cincy's week 17 losses. You had to figure they were out after that losing streak that included losses to KC, Oakland, and Cleveland.

Round Two
Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys
Line: Cowboys -3
O/U: 47.5
My Pick: Eagles +3. Philly wins 34-20.
Result: Cowboys 24-0
I didn't count on how good the Cowboys D has been performing. The rematch will be closer, but that defense has a lot of confidence, and the Boys have beaten the Iggles twice this year.

Round One
Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals
Line: Cardinals -3
O/U: 44
My Pick: Packers +3. Green Bay forces the rematch with a 31-21 win.
Result: Packers 33-7
This one meant very little, as the Cards didn't want to show their hand before the rematch. As with the Eagles-Cowboys, the game will be much closer this week, but after such a decisive win it'll be tough to pick against the week 17 winner.

OUT in Style
Kansas City Chiefs @ Denver Broncos
Line: Broncos -13
O/U: 38
My Pick: Chiefs +13. Denver can't blow them out twice, right? Denver 34-27.
Result: Chiefs 44-24
Rather than miss the playoffs on tiebreakers, the Broncos decided to get blown out by a team with only 3 prior wins all year. Well done Broncos. From 6-0 to 8-8...I may not have called exactly that, but I mentioned that the 6-0 start may have risen the hopes of the Broncos faithful to dangerous levels in the wake of a large collapse.

Won and In
Baltimore Ravens @ Oakland Raiders
Line: Ravens -10.5
O/U: 38
My Pick: Ravens -10.5. Baltimore rolls 31-10.
Result: Ravens 21-13
I knew the Raiders would give them a game, but the Ravens did exactly what they needed to do. Now they'll have to get by the Pats in Foxboro.

Still the Super Chargers
Washington Redskins @ San Diego Chargers
Line: Chargers -3.5
O/U: 39.5
My Pick: Chargers -3.5 San Diego wins 20-13.
Result: Chargers 23-20
The Chargers haven't lost in a long time. I'm not sure anyone's more dangerous right now. If the Pats win this week, they'll head out to San Diego for the divisional round, which would be a heck of a game.

Didn't Win Out, but...
Tennessee Titans @ Seattle Seahawks
Line: Titans -4.5
O/U: 44
My Pick: Titans -4.5. Tennessee wins 34-17.
Result: Titans 17-13
Way more defense in this one than I expected. Tennessee showed a ton of heart in coming back from their 0-6 start to finish 8-8. The exact opposite of Denver, actually. I expect them to be in top form next season.

Lay Down
Cincinnati Bengals @ New York Jets
Line: Jets -10
O/U: 35
My Pick: Bengals +10. The Jets still win 17-10.
Result: Jets 37-0
Wow. The Bengals didn't even try to make it look good. Let's hope nobody gets injured, because their second string is clearly worthless.

No comments: