Thursday, January 14, 2010

NFL Divisional Weekend Preview

Saturday, January 16th, 4:30pm:

Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints
Line: Saints -7
O/U: 57
It'll be high-scoring, that's for sure. But having seen the Saints the last time they "tried" (New England at home...), I can only imagine this will only be close until Nawlins breaks it wide open. Arizona's defense was solid for about 3 drives against Green Bay, but ultimately allowed a ton of yards and points. Which isn't good, because the offense they're facing this week is even better.
My Pick: Saints -7. New Orleans 42-31.

Saturday, January 16th, 8pm:

Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts
Line: Colts -6.5
O/U: 44
The Colts are the class of the league, but I'm worried that Peyton's extremely limited playing time down the stretch will come back to haunt them. Remember how bad the Colts were at the start of last season, when Peyton had missed the whole preseason? At least two road teams have won in the divisional round 4 straight year, and in 5 of the last 6. Which means I have to pick at least one road team. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy - The Colts were worried about being rusty and losing their first playoff game. That worry may contribute to their downfall. Though I really would like to see the Colts-Chargers matchup that has seemingly been on the AFC championship horizon for months now, this has to be my upset pick.
My Pick: Ravens +6.5. Baltimore is good in the playoffs. They win outright 23-21.

Sunday, January 17th, 1pm:

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings
Line: Vikings -2.5
O/U: 45.5
Why wasn't this my upset pick you ask? For a few reasons. First of all, I'm hardcore on the Favre bandwagon, and I don't want to fall off. Second, the Williams boys in the middle can shut down the Cowboys' strong run game like no other team in the league. Plus Romo has been solid for too many weeks in a row and is bound to stumble. I know Favre has been bad against the Cowboys in his career, but now that he's wearing purple I think that's all out the window. I just don't see the Cowboys defense, which has been outstanding 4 weeks in a row, stopping Favre and Peterson. If they can, more power to them on their march to glory.
My Pick: Vikings -2.5. Minnesota wins 27-17.

Sunday, January 17th, 4:30pm:

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers
Line: Chargers -7
O/U: 42
The Chargers haven't lost in a long time. I don't think the Jets will be the team that breaks them. Revis is a great corner, and always shuts down the opponents' top guy. But against the Chargers, who do you shut down? You have to pick your poison, as the Bolts have too many go-to guys. The Jets run D has been bad all year. Enter LT to show them who's boss. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets played insanely good defense and kept it close, but that's not the outcome I'd put my money on.
My Pick: Chargers -7. San Diego wins 34-17.

No comments: