Tuesday, January 12, 2010

NFL Wildcard Weekend Recap

Things didn't go so well for me on wildcard weekend. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite glad that I was able to watch the Jets and Cardinals win their respective games. But 0-4 is as bad as it gets for picking games. 2 blowouts, 1 solid game, and one all-time great game (most combined points ever scored in a playoff game gets it to that level) wouldn't have surprised many people. But the Cowboys blowing out the Eagles twice in a row and the Ravens surprising the Pats at Foxboro should have been shocking to most. The Packers beat very few solid teams all year, so when the Cards decided to actually PLAY, they were bound to have difficulty. And no, the Cowboys win doesn't count, because Dallas was playing like crap at that point in the year. The Jets win was surprising to me, but they've been playing good football lately, and you had to figure that if the Bengals couldn't get the pass game going they wouldn't be able to win that game.

This sets up some interesting games for next week, although I would have loved to see a Jets-Colts rematch. Though there is still a chance the two could face off in the AFC title game. Baltimore had no shot going into New England, so you can't really count them fully out of the running against Indy. The Jets simply don't allow teams to throw the ball, which means that if LT has an off day, even the red-hot Chargers could stumble. Minnesota has been my pick for a while, and I really want to see them go all the way, but I'm not sure anyone is playing better football than Dallas right now, especially on defense. But if anybody can solve them, it's Favre. Though he has struggled against the 'Boys in the playoffs throughout his career. And the Cards and Saints could break that points-scored-in-the-playoffs record all over again this weekend. I'm not sure either team brings much of a defense to the party. My guess is that it will be one of those last-team-to-score-wins scenarios.

No comments: