Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wildcard Weekend Recap

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Line: Saints -10.5
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Saints -10.5. New Orleans wins 31-10.
Result: Seahawks 41-36
No one would have expected the Saints' defense to allow the lowly Seahawks to score more than 30 points...let alone 41! Anybody who picked the Seahawks to win outright is either a masochist or a Seahawks fan; though those two distinctions may be one and the same. I was honestly going to pick the Seahawks to beat the spread until I realized that they hadn't lost a game by less than 11 all season long. Since I never considered them to win (not a masochist...), that left me with only one choice. I'm not that upset about this pick...I don't see how I could have picked Seattle to pull off one of the biggest upsets in playoff history.

NEW YORK JETS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Line: Colts -2.5
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Colts -2.5. Indy wins 24-21.
Result: Jets 17-16
Oh ye of little faith...I wish I had the gumption to pick the Jets in the face of all the stats that suggested Rex Ryan would again be unable to stop Peyton Manning. The Jets defense played very well and Sanchez did just enough, getting the team into field goal position late so that Folk could hit the game winner. My lack of faith will likely continue in the divisional round; I see no way that the Jets can oust the Patriots.

BALTIMORE RAVENS @ KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Line: Ravens -3
O/U: 40.5
My Pick: Ravens -3. Baltimore wins 20-10.
Result: Ravens 30-7
This was a good game until halftime, but the adjustments Harbaugh made at the break propelled the Ravens to a big second half and a lopsided victory. The Ravens are very, very good on the road in the playoffs. The Steelers are very, very good period. This is going to be a fun week...

GREEN BAY PACKERS @ PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Line: Eagles -2.5
O/U: 46
My Pick: Packers +2.5. Green Bay wins 34-31.
Result: Packers 21-16
The Eagles just couldn't muster enough offense against a very fast, strong Packers' defense. Green Bay is a team NO ONE wants to play right now; they're really clicking in all facets of the game. We won't get a chance to see Vick return to Atlanta in an NFC Championship game, but we could see Packers @ Bears in the NFC Championship. Between the rivalry implications and the fact that the Packers made the playoffs on the back of a win over Chicago in week 17, that would end up being yet another great game. This year's playoff matchups have been outstanding!

No comments: