Thursday, November 4, 2010

NFL Week Eight Recap

Week Eight Picks: 5-8
Week Eight ATS: 5-8
Overall Picks: 72-45
Overall ATS: 60-53-4

The T.Ocho No...
MIAMI DOLPHINS @ CINCINNATI BENGALS
Line: Bengals -1.5
O/U: 43.5
My Pick: Dolphins +1.5. Happy to be getting points on this one. Miami wins 23-17.
Result: Dolphins 22-14
Cincy is playing like the traditional Bengals, and not like the team that won the AFC North last season. TO and Ocho are more of a distraction than an asset, and I think the Bengals are learning that the hard way. Miami has all the pieces to contend in the AFC East, but they need to start scoring more points!

Benched
WASHINGTON REDSKINS @ DETROIT LIONS
Line: Lions -1
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Lions -1. Detroit wins 27-23.
Result: Lions 37-25
McNabb's benching was the only real story that came out of this game. You had to figure they'd lose to the Lions, as the Skins can't seem to beat opponents who they, on paper, should dominate.

I knew it was going to happen at some point...
GREEN BAY PACKERS @ NEW YORK JETS
Line: Jets -5
O/U: 42.5
My Pick: Jets -5. New York's defense impresses in a 24-10 win.
Result: Packers 9-0
I have been worried for weeks that the Jets' O would lay an egg at some point. I just missed the week when it actually happened!

Ok, maybe they're worse than I think...
CAROLINA PANTHERS @ ST. LOUIS RAMS
Line: Rams -3
O/U: 37
My Pick: Panthers +3. Carolina wins 17-13.
Result: Rams 20-10
I've been picking Carolina for a few weeks now, and was happy when they finally won. BUt now I've gone a little too far. They're still pretty bad...

Quitters
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS @ DALLAS COWBOYS
Line: Cowboys -6
O/U: 43.5
My Pick: Cowboys -6. Dallas wins 31-10.
Result: Jaguars 35-17
Yep, it's harsh. But what else do you call a team with all that talent that still manages to lose to a pretty bad Jaguars team in a blowout? They quit. Plain and simple. Romo's gone, and so is every ounce of confidence the Cowboys had. Too bad they don't play the Bills...

So Close...
BUFFALO BILLS @ KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Line: Chiefs -7.5
O/U: 46
My Pick: Bills +7.5. Buffalo wins outright - that's right, I'm calling win #1 - 24-20.
Result: Chiefs 13-10 (ot)
I knew the Bills would put up a fight! Too bad they couldn't convert in OT. Or score more than 10 points...that may have helped too...

London Calling
DENVER BRONCOS @ SAN FRANCiSCO 49ERS
Line: 49ers -1.5
O/U: 42
My Pick: Broncos +1.5. Denver wins 21-17.
Result: 49ers 24-16
I guess all the 49ers have to do to get a win is to play in London. Or to play the Broncos. Either way, things aren't really looking up for them. But who cares - San Fran won the World Series! Nobody's worried about the 9ers right now...

Finally!
TENNESSEE TITANS @ SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
Line: Chargers -3.5
O/U: 44.5
My Pick: Chargers -3.5. San Diego wins 21-17.
Result: Chargers 33-25
I guess offloading Merriman worked. They put up a 2-4 record against weak opponents to start, and have now fought to the finish two weeks in a row against solid teams, coming out of it 1-1. I'll bet they still find a way to win the division...they always do!

Not to be
MINNESOTA VIKINGS @ NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Line: Pats -5
O/U: 44
My Pick: Vikings +5. They haven't ruled him out, which means he ought to start. Go Vikings! Minny wins outright on sheer emotion, 23-20.
Result: Pats 28-18
I was hoping for magic, and it didn't happen. The Vikings are pretty much done. Favre just doesn't have it this year. And frankly, I think part of it is due to the three players who went to Mississippi to convince him to play. I think he needed to make the decision on his own. Now he's sort of half-hearting it on the field, and it's noticeable.

Ha!
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS @ ARIZONA CARDINALS
Line: Cards -3
O/U: 39.5
My Pick: BUcs +3. Tampa wins 20-17.
Result: Bucs 38-35
Called it! Man, Arizona is bad this year. Though that's compared to the previous few years. Before that they were annually terrible.

Whoops...
SEATTLE SEAHAWKS @ OAKLAND RAIDERS
Line: Raiders -2.5
O/U: 42
My Pick: Seahawks +2.5. Seattle wins 28-20.
Result: Raiders 33-3
Umm...I'm not sure what's gotten into the Raiders, but it's kind of scaring me. Two blowout wins in a row? Who are these guys?

Bounce Back
PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Line: Saints -1
O/U: 44
My Pick: Steelers +1. Pittsburgh wins 27-17.
Result: Saints 20-10
I'm amazed that the Saints pulled out a win against the Steelers given all of their injury woes. I know they're good, and I expect them to contend for a trophy once Bush is back, but they've lost to some pretty bad teams lately...

Smooshed
HOUSTON TEXANS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Line: Colts -5.5
O/U: 50
My Pick: Texans +5.5. Indy wins 31-28.
Result: Colts 30-17
I guess I overestimated the Texans ability to score on the Colts and underestimated Peyton's desire to smack the Texans around for beating the Colts on opening weekend. Oh well.

No comments: