Thursday, December 30, 2010

Week Seventeen Preview

CAROLINA PANTHERS @ ATLANTA FALCONS
Line: Falcons -14.5
O/U: 41

I generally go against big spreads, but I think the Falcons will run the Panthers out of the Georgia Dome. A win means home field advantage throughout the playoffs, and Atlanta doesn't want to go into the postseason with two straight losses. Add to that Carolina's ineptitude, and you have a recipe for a blowout.
My Pick: Falcons -14.5. Atlanta rolls 34-3.

CINCINNATI BENGALS @ BALTIMORE RAVENS
Line: Ravens -9.5
O/U: 43

The Bengals seem to have the Ravens' number. Although Baltimore needs this win to have a shot at the division title and a first-round bye (with a PIT loss...), I just don't see it being a blowout.
My Pick: Bengals +9.5. Baltimore wins 23-20.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS @ CLEVELAND BROWNS
Line: Steelers -5.5
O/U: 37.5

Pittsburgh is pretty darn good in big games. A win in Baltimore will give them a division title and a first-round bye. A loss, a BAL win, and a NYJ win would drop the Steelers down to a 6-seed! I expect them to beat the Browns somewhat handily.
My Pick: Steelers -5.5. Pittsburgh wins 24-10.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS @ DETROIT LIONS
Line: Lions -3
O/U: 42

Geez...I've gotta pick the Vikings, simply because they're underdogs in Detroit. I'm not thrilled that the quarterback is still unknown, but Favre will probably play, and it seems sacreligious for him to end his career with a loss.
My Pick: Vikings +3. Minny wins 23-13.

OAKLAND RAIDERS @ KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Line: Chiefs -3.5
O/U: 43.5

If the Raiders win, they'll be the first team to ever SWEEP their division and still miss the playoffs. I want that to happen - it would make me laugh! Plus KC has very little to play for, and may not be "in it to win it".
My Pick: Raiders +3.5. Oakland wins 24-20.

MIAMI DOLPHINS @ NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Line: Pats -3.5
O/U: 43

Can the Pats backups beat the Fins? Probably...but the odds are against them winning by 4 or more.
My Pick: Dolphins +3.5. New England still wins 20-17.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS @ NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Line: Saints -8
O/U: 46.5

The Bucs need a win and a LOT of help to get in the playoffs. I doubt the Packers and Giants will BOTH lose, so chances are they're screwed either way. That said, they'll still be playing very hard. The Saints SHOULD be playing hard, but if I were on that team, I'd have to assume the Falcons were going to beat the Panthers to win the division and the bye. New orleans will get a virtual bye anyway, as they'll be the 5-seed in the NFC and will travel to play the winner of the NFC West in the first round, which shouldn't be much of a contest. So, in short, I'm not sure New Orleans will be 100% into this game, and could end up in a tight battle.
My Pick: Bucs +8. New Orleans wins 27-23.

BUFFALO BILLS @ NEW YORK JETS
Line: 0
O/U: 39.5

This game may seem like it doesn't matter, but the Jets have to consider all of the playoff possibilities before writing it off. If they lose, they're the 6-seed. The 3-seed would be the Colts if Indy wins and KC loses...which would be good for the Jets, since Sanchez doesn't play particularly well in cold weather (Indy plays indoors). If the Jets win, PIT loses, and BAL wins, the Ravens win the North and the Jets are the 5-seed thanks to their head-to-head win over PIT a few weeks ago. They would then play the 4-seed, which is Indy if they win and the Chiefs win or if the Colts and Jags both lose. The 4-seed would be Jacksonville if they win and the Colts lose, so the Jets would get warm weather that way, too! Given the convoluted scenarios, which I am sure the Jets are aware of, I think they'll try to win. They're also the hard-nosed type of team that wants to win no matter what. Whether Sanchez plays or not remains to be seen, but I think the Jets can still beat Buffalo.
My Pick: Jets win 17-13.

CHICAGO BEARS @ GREEN BAY PACKERS
Line: Packers -10
O/U: 41.5

Even though the Bears will likely rest some starters, I don't see them getting blown out. Yes, the Packers need a win to get to the postseason; but wouldn't Chicago love to stand in their way? Last year the Colts "allowed" the Jets to get in the playoffs by resting all of their starters in week 17, and Indy had to host the Jets a few weeks later in the playoffs! If the Bears "let" the Packers into the playoffs, they could potentially have their season ended by them! The fear of that situation coming to light should keep the Bears on their toes. Then again, I may be overthinking this...
My Pick: Bears +10. Packers win 17-14.

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS @ HOUSTON TEXANS
Line: Jags -2.5
O/U: 49.5

The Texans are a mess, and the Jags are still alive for a playoff berth if Indy loses. It's unlikely, but Jacksonville will be playing hard just in case.
My Pick: Jags -2.5. Jacksonville wins 28-21.

TENNESSEE TITANS @ INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Line: Colts -10
O/U: 48

This is basically a playoff game for Indy (win and they're in), and if I recall correctly, Peyton Manning is pretty darn good in playoff games! Plus the Titans are awful.
My Pick: Colts -10. Indy rolls 33-10.

DALLAS COWBOYS @ PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Line: N/A
O/U: N/A

The Eagles know they're the 3-seed, so they'll be resting players. Dallas hates Philly, so they should come out with some intensity. Especially after listening to Garrett scream at them for the last week after losing to the lowly Cardinals.
My Pick: Cowboys win 20-10.

NEW YORK GIANTS @ WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Line: Giants -4
O/U: 44.5

The Giants need a win and a Packers loss to get into the playoffs. I don't think they'll get the Packers' loss, but I certainly think they'll be ready to play against the Skins.
My Pick: Giants -4. New York wins 37-14.

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS @ DENVER BRONCOS
Line: Chargers -3
O/U: 47

This one's for pride. I think the Broncos have more...
My Pick; Broncos +3. Denver wins 23-20.

ARIZONA CARDINALS @ SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
Line: 49ers -6
O/U: 38.5

This game is also for pride...I think the departure of Mike Singletary will negatively affect the team, and even though the Cards usually stink on the road, I have to go with them in this one.
My Pick: Cards +6. Arizona wins 20-10.

ST. LOUIS RAMS @ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Line: Rams -3
O/U: 41.5

This one's for all the marbles in the NFC West! I'd like to see Seattle win, as I'd find it humorous for a playoff team to be under .500...and since Seattle is playing at home, and generally enjoys a big home field advantage, I will go with them! Even with Whitehurst starting at QB.
My Pick: Seahawks +3. Seattle wins the West 20-17.

No comments: